M2 Assignment 2 Submission
Assignment 2: Errors in Reasoning
In this assignment, you will select one of the topics listed below. Using what you know about the topic, describe at least four claims that might commonly be made that display some of the errors in reasoning covered in this module’s readings. You may have to do a bit of research to find popular positions on these topics.
For example, if the claim is: Children should not be allowed to play violent video games.
Then four common claims about the subject might be:
* Children have always played violent games and they turned out okay.
* Dr. Dre says that violent video games are okay.
* Everybody knows that violent video games don’t cause problems.
* Many countries banned violent video games and they have higher crime rates than we do.
And the errors they represent might be:
* Children have always played violent games and they turned out okay (appeal to tradition and false analogy).
* Dr. Dre says that violent video games are okay (argument by mistaken authority).
* Everybody knows that violent video games don’t cause problems (appeal to common belief).
* Many countries banned violent video games and they have higher crime rates than we do (post hoc ergo propter hoc).
* Any sentence that talks about how we have always done something as a way to justify doing it is an appeal to tradition.
* The claim looks like it comes from an authority, but Dr. Dre is a musician, not a doctor.
* Any claim that says that everyone knows something as a way to justify doing it is an appeal to common belief.
* Showing that two things happened (that video games are accepted and crime is up) does not prove that the two things are related or that the first caused the second; this is called post hoc ergo propter hoc, which means after this, so because of this.
Select one of these topics. Using what you know about the topic and additional research you conduct, describe at least four claims that might commonly be made that display some of the errors in reasoning covered in this module’s readings.
* Should people under 18 be subjected to legal curfews or restricted driving privileges?
* Should libraries be required to install filtering software or otherwise censor the materials that they provide?
* Should insurance companies be required to pay for breast reconstruction, birth control pills, or Viagra?
* Should the use of camera phones be banned in gymnasiums or other locations?
Write your 600-word response in the Microsoft Word document format. Name the file M2_A2_LastName_FirstInitial.doc, and submit it to the Submissions Area by the due date assigned.
Assignment 2 Grading Criteria
Provided at least four commonly made claims about your selected topic (four common claims). 40
Named the errors found in each common claim (the errors represented). 30
Explained what factors show that the error is present (definitions). 20
Applied current APA standards for editorial style, expression of ideas, and format of text, citations, and references. Professionally presented the response by using good grammar, spelling, and punctuation. 10
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more