Assignment: Write a three page paper on your family’s historical and/or contemporary experience in the United States and/or elsewhere, focusing on the significance of natural resources in shaping the lives of family members and yourself. If you wish, you may write on a friend or interview subject’s family history.
Goals: This assignment is intended to get you to think about the personal significance of natural resources to you and your family, not to ask you to share anything that you feel is private.
Guidelines: There are no specific guidelines for how to structure your paper. But here are some suggestions:
1) Examine one or two key ways in which natural resources have played a part in (one or branches of) your family’s history–for instance, in terms of work, recreation, health, migration, social position or identity. You might want to start with a basic distinction between the roles that you and family members have played in relation to specific natural resources as producers (e.g.: workers, farmers, business owners, investors, etc.) and consumers (e.g.: users of goods and services such as food, gasoline, medicines, air, water, wilderness, etc.).
2) Discuss how your family’s relationships with natural resources have been shaped by and have influenced your own and/or your relatives’ identities in terms of culture, race, ethnicity, class, religion, gender, etc.
3) Look at how connections with natural resources have created or limited social and economic opportunities for you and family members. You may want to situate this within the context of specific historical and contemporary events that have shaped family experience. For instance, political and economic changes in China and Mexico in recent decades have had a great impact on agricultural regimes, which, in turn, have influenced the lives of millions in terms of economic opportunity, migration, family cohesion, etc. You might consider how your family members’ relationships to and experiences of natural resources have changed over time and between generations in the context of immigration and settlement in the United States, and/or pursuit of upward mobility and the “American Dream.”
4) Explore the ideas, feelings and ethical positions that you and your family have about the environmental and social costs and benefits associated with different uses of natural resources. For instance, how do you feel about the use of petrochemicals or the preservation of wilderness areas? Are there differences between yourself and other members of your family in this regard? If so, explore why this is so?
5) Just tell the tale of a how a member of your family came to the United States or a specific event in that story. It’s likely that you’ll be amazed at the importance of particular natural resources in shaping this history.
6) Talk to your GSI (and Kurt) about ideas for the paper.
Methods, sources and references:
Format: 3 pages, 1.5-spaced with 12-point font and margins of your choice. If you include images or a bibliography in the paper, you may exceed the 3-page limit to include the images.
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more