Discussion 2: PTSD and Trauma
A terrible feature about remembering is the inability to forget. For many in the military and armed forces, this inability to forget traps them with a particular feeling associated with a particular moment. As the rules of war are uncompromising, the traumatic scars, both physical and emotional, hold power in the lives of those who have faced war. Over the years, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) diagnoses have expanded to include victims of rape, environmental disasters, or any other event producing insurmountable and atypical levels of stress for an individual. When exceptionally stressful and atypical events occur in life, it is natural to feel discomfort or even trauma in response to the situation. Does everyone who experiences trauma become diagnosed with PTSD?
For this Discussion, consider whether the diagnosis of trauma always leads to the development of PTSD. If not diagnosed with PTSD, think about what alternative diagnoses might be possible for a client.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 4 a brief explanation of whether experiences of trauma always lead to the development of PTSD and explain why or why not. Then explain possible alternative client diagnoses.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources and current literature.
Note: To access this week’s required library resources, please click on the link to the Course Readings List, found in the Course Materials section of your Syllabus.
· American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing.
o Anxiety Disorders
o Trauma- and Stressor-Related Disorders
o Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders
· Paris, J. (2015). The intelligent clinician’s guide to the DSM-5 (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Oxford University Press. Retrieved from the Walden Library.
o Chapter 11, Anxiety Disorders, Trauma, and the Obsessive-Compulsive Spectrum
· Armour, C., Elklit, A., & Shevlin, M. (2013). The latent structure of acute stress disorder: A posttraumatic stress disorder approach. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, And Policy, 5(1), 18–25. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
· Koffel, E., Polusny, M., Arbisi, P., & Erbes, C. (2012). A preliminary investigation of the new and revised symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder in DSM-5. Depression And Anxiety, 29(8), 731–738. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
· Lent, R. W. (2004). Toward a unifying theoretical and practical perspective on well-being and psychosocial adjustment. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 51(4), 482–509. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
· Santiago, P. N., Ursano, R. J., Gray, C. L., Pynoos, R. S., Spiegel, D., Lewis-Fernandez, R., & … Fullerton, C. S. (2013). A systematic review of PTSD prevalence and trajectories in DSM-5 defined trauma exposed populations: Intentional and non-intentional traumatic events. Plos ONE, 8(4), 1–5. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more