Sentence Modifiers and Coordinators, Words, and Word Classes
Part I: Sentence Modifiers
Directions: In a separate document, revise the following sentences that contain either dangling or misplaced modifiers. Note: There will be more than one way to fix these sentences.
1. Hurrying out the door, the door latch ripped a hole in my jacket.
2. The curtains are pretty bright in the baby’s room.
3. After taking some medicine, my stomach settled down.
Part II: Sentence Modifiers
Directions: In a separate document, identify each underlined phrase as a participial, appositive, or absolute modifying phrase.
1. Between the sharp, loud crashing of cymbals, he pounded the bass drum, its deep thud resonating through the stadium.
2. The guitarist followed the beat, strumming the chords rhythmically.
3. A means to an end that will help you develop ideas for your paper, this classroom activity is both fun and productive.
4. A slender animal with long legs, the cheetah is built for speed.
5. Charging forward, the bass guitarist hit a series of quick, low notes.
6. Legs wobbling, I struggled to stand up as the physical therapist rushed over to help.
7. My wife watched from her chair, offering love and encouragement.
8. Most universities require two courses in first-year composition, English I and English II.
9. He grabbed my hands to steady me, both of us shuffling toward the treadmill.
10. The students reading the highest number of pages during the break received a free book as an award.
Part III: Sentence Coordinators Answer Key
Directions: Using conjunctions and appropriate punctuation, fix sentences that have grammatical problems (such as run-on sentences or problems with parallel structure) and combine shorter sentences to make them longer. Some options for conjunctions are “and,” “but,” “or,” “if,” “until.” Some types of punctuation are , : ; —.
1. He saw the accident, it happened very quickly.
2. They wanted to renovate their home, it had old paint and worn carpet.
3. All of my favorite foods have high levels of salt, sugar and fat, I have a difficult time cooking healthier versions.
4. They enjoy running a four-mile circuit. They usually run in the mornings before work.
5. He usually exercises in the morning. She prefers to go to the gym at night.
6. I did not know what to plan for my students next. I read through their drafts to make some decisions about tomorrow’s in-class activities.
7. Our textbook is engaging, informative, and you can read it quickly.
8. Today I will grade several papers, develop a new assignment, and be gathering material for my latest research.
9. I pulled an all-nighter working on my term paper. The next day, I needed some coffee to stay awake.
10. Tom and Morgan usually eat dinner together. They don’t eat dinner together when one of them has to work late.
11. The Utah Jazz are a basketball team with a great history. They have had trouble winning a championship.
12. I got a thank you note from a student she said she learned a great deal from the assignments we did.
Part IV: Identifying form classes
Directions: Identify the class of every word in the following sentences. Place your labels below the words: noun (n), verb (vb), adjective (adj), adverb (adv), determiner (det), auxiliary (aux), qualifier (qual), preposition (prep), conjunction (conj), expletive (exp), particle (part), pronoun (pro). Remember: Some words can serve as members of different classes, depending on how they are used.
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more