In these last few units, you have learned many skills designed to build rapport and help clients share their stories. For this assignment, you will have an opportunity to view a counseling video and identify basic interviewing skills used in the session. This information is beneficial for your professional understanding of how elements in your interviews (such as choice of words, expressions, and tone) convey different messages to your clients.
Please begin by watching the video below (approximately 45 minutes):
[Creative Caption & Video]. (2014, September 24). Carl Rogers and Gloria – Counselling 1965 Full Session –
CAPTIONED [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee1bU4XuUyg
Then, using the Unit 5 Assignment Template, please answer the following questions about your observations in the video:
• Identify what the letters “SOLER” stand for as demonstrated by Carl Rogers in the video.
• Provide one example of an “open-ended question” used in the session.
• Provide one example when Carl “validated” Gloria.
• Provide one example when Carl responded to Gloria with a “reflection of feeling.”
• Provide one example when Carl responded to Gloria with a “reflection of content.”
• Describe a time in the video when Carl used “silence” to allow Gloria more time to reflect on her own feelings.
• Based upon the readings, identify three ways that Carl demonstrated he was using nonverbal cues and “clinically listening” to Gloria.
• What are two “verbal prompts” (supportive sounds) Carl used to help Gloria expand her story?
In at least five sentences each, please respond to each of the following:
• Reflect on how the use of specific interviewing skills helped Gloria explore and elaborate her concerns and go from a surface level concern of “telling Pammy” to deeper concerns such as the “relationship with her father.”
• Identify how the use of interviewing skills will be helpful in your role as a human service provider to build strong client relationships.
• Identify an appropriate professional image, including describing tone, body language, and appearance when working with clients. Explain the importance of these characteristics in your role as a human service professional.
Your assignment should address all questions in complete sentences and paragraphs, reflecting appropriate personal and professional insights. The assignment must be written in Standard English and demonstrate superior organization, including a highly developed viewpoint and purpose that is clearly established and sustained. The communication of your thoughts must be highly ordered, logical, and unified, displaying exceptional content, organization, style, and mechanics (including the use of correct grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure).
This assignment assesses the following Course Outcomes:
HN205: Identify interviewing skills utilized by human service professionals.
PC-3.4: Project a professional image, such as appearance, confidence, and attitude, for a given work environment.
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more