Resources: Ch. 1, 2, and & 7 of Psychology
This required Portfolio assignment will provide you with the opportunity to practice and hone your research skills. It has been designed to help you think scientifically about real world problems and issues and to apply your knowledge of the research process to various topics in Psychology. This assignment accomplishes that goal by challenging you to:
· Differentiate between the common use of the word research and the use of the word research in the social and behavioral sciences
· Identify the major steps in the research process using a classic study in Psychology as an example.
Part I: Defining Research
The word research is used in many different ways. Consider the following examples:
· Your friend tells you that he intends to research different hair products before deciding on one to buy.
· A real estate agent advises you to research home values in your neighborhood before putting your house on the market.
· A police officer reports that she is doing ‘some research’ on possible motives for a crime that was committed.
· A writer states that he does ‘extensive research’ before beginning his fictional works.
Answer the questions below:
1. How is research defined in the social and behavioral sciences?
2. What makes scientific research different from the examples provided above? In your response, be sure to address the characteristics of ‘good’ psychological research.
Part II: Understanding the research process
Researchers in Psychology follow a systematic process of investigation. Carefully read Chapter 2 of your textbook, paying special attention to the section on Experimental Research. Then go to Chapter 7 in your textbook and read the following section: Research In-Depth: Counterfactuals and “If Only…” Thinking. Answer the questions below, using Medvec & colleagues’ first study as an example:
1. What hypothesis did Medvec & colleagues set out to test in their first study of the ‘near miss’ phenomenon? Describe the theory associated with this hypothesis.
2. Identify the variables in the study and describe how they were measured. How did the researchers operationalize (test or measure) affective response upon winning a bronze or silver medal?
3. Who were the participants in the study and what did they do?
4. Describe the data that was collected and analyzed.
5. Describe the results of the study. What did the researchers conclude?
6. If you were to design a follow-up experiment on this subject, what might it be?
There is not a specific word count…just make sure that you have adequately addressed each question.
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more