Films: a) Breathin’: The Eddy Zheng Story, b) Marion Wong’s story, c) Mississippi Masala
For discussions leading to mid-term assignments, I suggest, we focus on the following questions–perhaps, they all are inter-related:
1. Asian-American identity in cinema: what makes an Asian-American film? (made by Asian-Americans only or can we include films on Asian-Amercians made by non-Asian-Americans, for example?) What is really at stake? Identity and authenticity? (We discussed the problem of identity and authenticity in several sessions, so this should be helpful.)
2. How do we associate Asian-American forms of identity with the problems of immigration and survival in cinema? Is it enough to survive or must one learn to live the prejudices and fight against them? Should we all become social justice warriors regardless of one’s affiliation and status? Do you know of any such story? Share, please!
3. Is the treatment of Eddy Zheng in “Breathin'” an anomaly or a common occurrence? This was and still is a brilliant question to ponder. Thanks to Peter, Andrew, Marion, Mike, Gemma, and many others for raising this question in different forms in the last class.
4. Is there a way to think about Angela Davis’ essay on the PIC as relevant to other experiences? Can you please reread the essay and bring home the salient points?
5. If you were to undertake a media project on one of the community identities and issues, how would you frame the narrative? Where would you direct your focus, literally and cinematically?
6. If you were to write about the problem of PIC, what are the possible narrative strategies especially in relation to the essays and articles you have read? Would you base your views on interviews or historical archives or critical writing or data alone? Justify.
7. Can we think of non-mainstream strategies and tactics for countering the narratives of power? Is any of the film doing any such thing?
In each of these questions, you are free to pick and choose, of course. You are also welcome to interlink one question with the other if you so choose. Also, you are welcome to add more questions here.
And finally, I will try and put the names of the other films you might as well watch later tonight.
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more